Use sausages high in lean meat to keep the fat down in this pastry.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins.
Leek 1 medium, halved and sliced
Carrot 1 medium, peeled and diced
Sunflower oil 1 tsp
Eating apple 1, peeped, cored and diced
Dried mixed herbs a good pinch
High meat-content sausages 400g, skinned
Fresh white breadcrumbs 50g
Puff pastry 250g
Poppy seeds ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
2. Roll out the pastry to a rectangle 60x20cm/23½x8in. Trim the edges to neaten. Cut into six even rectangles.
3. Mix the sausagemeat with the thyme in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Divide the sausagemeat into six even portions. Roll each portion into a sausage shape.
4. Spread a teaspoon of pickle along each pastry rectangle, leaving the edges clear. Place a filling sausage across the top of each pastry rectangle. Roll the pastry to enclose the filling. Brush the pastry edges with beaten egg to seal.
5. Place the sausage rolls on trays lined with parchment. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden-brown and cooked through.
This entry was posted in foods, health and tagged apple, breadcrumbs, cook, cooked, Fresh, meat-content sausages, pepper, Poppy seeds, Puff pastry, rolls, Sausage pastry roll, Sunflower, Use sausages.